Location: Lido Key
Trailhead (Google Plus Code): 8C89+J9 Sarasota, Florida
Hike Length: 2.5 miles
Time Estimate: two hours
Habitats: Coastal Upland
Notes: Beautiful Beach and tidal areas
- Wildflowers – Look for a wide range of wildflowers here, which change with the seasons.
- Egrets – Very popular location for local egrets: snowy egret, great egret and reddish egret.
- Beach – There is a beautiful beach that is relatively empty and popular with shorebirds.
- Black Skimmers – Look for black skimmers skimming the water at the beach’s edge.
- Coastal Upland Habitat – This is by sand and beach habitat. Beaches are, for the most part, quartz-based sand, contributed by river-borne sediments eroded from the Appalachian Mountains.
- Northern Harrier (Marsh Hawk) – Identifiable by a white patch at the base of its tail, the northern harrier typically hunts while flying ten to twenty feet above the ground.
- Prickly Pear – Watch out for the local cactus!
- Tidal Area – This hike includes a tidal and all the associated tidal life forms.